Process Safety Engineer Ecolab United States
Category: Supply Chain
Work Location: Joliet, IL
The Process Safety Engineer is responsible for working with the site Safety, Health and Environmental Manager and the Reliability Manager to ensure process safety programs are in compliance with applicable regulations and Ecolab Standards. Primary areas of focus are Process Safety Management (PSM) and the ongoing reliability (maintenance) tasks of this system.
Location Information: This will role will be located at our plant located at 3001 Channahon Rd, Joliet, Il, 60436. The Joliet plant is the largest Ecolab chemical manufacturing plant in North America. We produce liquid, cast, and powder products to serve the domestic and international markets.
What You Will Do
- Ensure site compliance with applicable standards (i.e. NFPA, PSM)
- Serve as a team member on capital projects and process modifications to minimize process and personal risk management
- Participate on or lead HAZOPS (process hazard analyses)
- Red List compliance (incompatible chemicals)
- Act as a Member of the Emergency Response and Planning Committee
- Ensure equipment and facilities function as planned to avoid downtime
- Manage CAR development and implementation, and ensuring capital projects are executed per the budget and timeline agreed upon for process safety related projects
- Select and managing maintenance, equipment and engineering vendors: evaluating vendor performance
- Develop and implementing plan for facility to comply with all applicable standards; facility appearance, security, manufacturing equipment, etc.
- Track the plant’s response to observations and the status of resolution
- Manage process safety documentation
- Communicate trends in audit findings, corrective actions, and observed best practices
- Additional duties as assigned
- Owner of the MOC (management of change) program
- Lead safety training
- Must be able to support a 24/7 operation as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with Process Safety Management standards and regulations
- Minimum 1 year experience implementing Process Safety at an industrial facility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Applied Sciences or related engineering discipline
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Previous experience with mechanical systems, P&IDs, mechanical integrity programs, non-destructive testing and chemical interactions
- Previous experience with emergency response
- Ability to work with one or more project teams and multiple projects at various stages of development
- Willingness to take initiative and work independently or in a team environment
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence others with excellent verbal and communication skills
- Agent for Change — not satisfied with the status quo, willing to take strong and effective action to effectively manage change. Committed to continuous improvement; Recommend and develop innovative processes.
- Interpersonal skills — Relates well to all levels and kinds of people; builds appropriate rapport. Listens well.
- Self-starter; Results driven; Anticipate/initiates and implements solutions; proactive.
- Strong people leadership, including mentoring and coaching skills.
- Action Oriented — Achiever mentality for the tasks that need to be accomplished; Bias for action; Team player.