Operational Safety Manager Job – Rio De Janeiro, Brasil
Job Ref: 107463BR
This Operational Safety Manager position is part of the Operational S&E discipline.
This role implements and leads appropriate systems to deliver top S&E performance. It develops and mentors a team of S&E Technicians to help assets deliver on S&E targets. Creates a culture where all asset employees are S&E leaders. It includes the development of safety behavioral capability in Upstream Deepwater Brazil.
The successful candidate will work with the Operational Safety team to deliver Brazil S&E Plan supporting Operations Managers and Logistics Managers to continuous improvement in the overall S&E performance. It includes supporting its businesses in full compliance with the S&E Control framework and all applicable national and international laws and regulations.
This role will liaise with the HR department to manage S&E Corporate matters. It means assuring that reliable Occupational Safety information is being delivered to e-Social system platform from Brazil Government. Also, it includes representing Shell Brasil Petroleo Ltda to Ministry of Labor as Safety Engineer leader in the SESMT (Serviço Especializado de Segurança e Medicina do Trabalho).
Purpose & Accountabilities:
- Act as Safety Officer in The Incident Command System.
- Coordinating S&E Program development including Contractor S&E performance and implementation within the region.
- Coach Leaders to improve Safety Culture in Deep Water operations.
- Support Onshore and Offshore Projects through various improvement projects and initiatives in Operational Safety.
- Building long-lasting and constructive internal and external relationships.
- Support S&E GM in the Leadership Journey development.
- Support S&E GM to cascade the Safety Leadership plan throughout the organization.
- Organize and implement Frontline Safety Leadership program.
- Support behavioral and operational safety programs, including Safety Leadership and Near Misses reporting, seeking for improvements on the business safety’s culture.
- Connect with different networks abroad seeking for market best practices and share the learning with Brasil Leadership.
- Focal point for Behavioral Safety Network in Brazil.
- Act as a Safety Officer deputy in The Incident Command System.
Key deliverables will be:
- Deliver S&E performance targets and develop and deliver S&E plans.
- Translate business S&E strategy, making practical plans and actions for front line application.
- Integrate/coordinate across multiple S&E disciplines, businesses, and functions.
- Support, challenge and advise to the line.
- Support and develop a line that is capable of integrating S&E into all day to day activities.
- As a team leader, will lead, coach, and develop S&E technicians, build their skill development plan, career path and rotation in and out of the line.
- Lead, manage and prioritize S&E activities to deliver plans.
- Carry out audits, incident investigations through approved techniques (Causal Learning, Tripod Beta, TapRoot) and reviews.
- Implement and improve effectiveness of DW significant and high potential incidents reviews and leanings from incident practices.
- General integrated S&E leadership, functional support, oversight, training and assurance across a Region.
- Interface between asset/facility and in-country discipline experts.
- Implement Worksite Hazard Management across DW operations.
- Local SME for the related Operational Safety and S&E Corporate Safety Standards.
- Act as Road Transport focal Point working together Road Transport Authority sit in Logistics Operations.
- Provide Operational Safety Expertise to Deep Water operations – Production, Logistics and Materials Management.
- Direct interact with all operations managers and Project Leaders, mainly with B&S Asset Manager, Parque das Conchas Asset Manager, Materials Manager (warehouses) and Logistics Manager.
- Accountable for the Operational Safety and S&E Corporate budget providing assurance for the GM S&E Manager.
- Supervisory responsibilities for a team of S&E Techs.
- Direct operational support to FPSO Fluminense, FPSO Espirito Santo and all Logistics Operations.
- Direct S&E Corporate support working close to HR, Shell Health, Corporate Security, Asset Protection, CIPA and SESMT.
- Mandatory to have a Safety Engineering degree and hold a valid CREA;
- Desirable to have a MSc. in Safety Engineering or equivalent;
- Fluency in English and Portuguese is required;
- Extensive professional experience (minimum of 15 years) in high risk industries;
- Experience in Operational S&E role is desired;
- Courage to intervene and challenge status quo;
- Skilled in effective business processes to manage a Safety Culture step change;
- Ability to work with multiple levels in the organization and network with other companies and businesses.;
- Able to communicate across cultures and good inter-personal communication skills
- Experience in manage contractors;
- Proactive and forward thinker;
- Strong S&E background and skilled on Incident classification, Investigation and Reporting; and Performance Management and Monitoring;
- Strong consulting skills are important;
- Demonstrated Enterprise First behaviors.