Primary Location: Belgium-Mons
NATO Body: NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis): 5,365.51Euro (EUR) Monthly
The Security Branch is responsible for the facilitation and provision of services to NCI Agency in all locations to protect and defend NCI Agency personnel, facilities, resources and information from threats posed by terrorism, espionage, sabotage, subversion and any catastrophic incident/disaster. This includes management and execution of Counter Intelligence; Physical Security; Personnel Security; Industrial Security; Security of Information; oversight and coordination of InfoSec/Information Assurance (IA); Business Continuity; and Health and Safety.
- Acting as principal Health and Safety Advisor at the base location and supporting additional locations for the NCI Agency;
- Providing locations and projects with appropriate Health and Safety advice and assistance;
- Liaising with stakeholders and accountable persons to ensure emergency procedures and arrangements, including fire and first aid, are in place at locations;
- Assessing actual working conditions; identifying potential Health and Safety hazards; recommending appropriate control measures in order to eliminate, reduce and control hazards. Conducting regular and ad hoc Health and Safety inspections and audits, preparing reports, making recommendations for remedial actions and ensuring actions are closed out to deadline, escalating where necessary;
- Assisting with the development of policy documents and programmes aimed at ensuring NCI Agency compliance with relevant Host Nation standards regarding Health and Safety;
- Providing advice regarding the introduction of new or changing working methodologies or workstation set ups;
- Provide advice on the implementation of an NCI Agency risk assessment process and develop plans to rectify conditions that pose Health and Safety hazards to the NCI Agency workforce;
- Assisting in the planning and execution of an information, communication and training programme to support NCI Agency policy;
- Acting as a local focal point for Health and Safety requirements based on current European and Host Nation standards;
- Coordinating the location NCI Agency Health and Safety Committee and acting as the location Health and Safety focal point;
- Liaising with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure Health and Safety delivery;
- Carrying out accident investigations and making recommendations for remedial actions;
- Managing specified Agency wide Health and Safety projects;
- Assisting in the development and management the Health and Safety communication strategy;
- Assisting in the preparation and submission of Health and Safety budget submissions through the Agency Health and Safety Manager;
- Reporting on local Health and Safety activity on a regular and ad hoc basis;
- Providing Agency wide support for carrying out technical interventions and surveys;
- Coordination and liaison with Occupational Health Services at location, within the AoR;
- Sharing and implementing best Health and Safety practice across the NCI Agency;
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Perform any other duty as required.
We are looking for a candidate with a Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognised/certified University in a relevant discipline with substantial safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene content with 2 years post-related experience or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognised/certified University in in a relevant discipline with substantial safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene content with 4 years post related experience or the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by relevant vocational qualifications and the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post;
In addition to 2 years’ relevant experience Health and Safety advising, you will also have practical experience in the following areas
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational safety and occupational health principles and practices, techniques, procedures, regulations and standards;
- Proven ability to manage multiple sites in an international Health and Safety environment.
- Experience working as a Health and Safety Advisor within an international or national organization;
- Evidence of commitment to continuing professional development through, for example, membership of an Health and Safety professional body, external study, continuing training;
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
- Experience of developing and working within quality systems;
- Technical skills relating to monitoring of noise, air quality, radiation etc. or experience in delivering technical survey programmes;
- Qualified trainer experience.
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of French is desirable.
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member’s desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency’s work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member’s deployability to operational theatre.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme.
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.