MSHA Issues Alert on Machinery Incidents – Alarmed by a series of 10 fatal incidents related to miners operating machinery, the Mine Safety and Health Administration has issued a safety alert.
MSHA says the incidents involved struck-by cases in which either a truck driver or nearby miner was fatally injured. In one instance, the locking ring of a haul truck tire dislodged and struck a miner.
Best practices for preventing machinery-related incidents include:
- Maintain equipment in safe operating condition.
- Inspect work areas before beginning work and operating heavy equipment.
- Stay alert and in control when operating equipment, keeping it on stable ground and away from hazards.
- Always wear a seat belt.
- Remain inside the cab and never attempt to jump clear.
- Prevent locking rings from creating a hazard; use tire cages and deflate tires before performing repairs.
- Train miners to safely complete the task.