Manager Health & Safety, CoE Canada – Sobeys
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 43139
Career Group: Corporate Careers
Job Category: Human Resources
Travel Requirements: 10 – 20%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Ontario (CA-ON)
Location: Tahoe Office, Mississauga
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton’s Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys’ purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better. .
Responsible for supporting in the development of Sobeys strategy, policy/process/program development and act as a subject matter expert related to Workplace Health & Safety, Prevention programs.
- Lead harmonized processes development delivering to the OHS team that target incident prevention
- Facilitate the continuous improvement of the OHS management system with nationally harmonized and consistent practices, provincial regulatory compliance and in accordance with union agreements for corporate retail locations, RSCs and offices
- Project lead for various initiatives (programs, training course, new tool development) with the active contribution of OHS managers and specialists
- Provide oversight to the East/West areas ensuring execution of the national initiatives and harmonized program
- Ensure maintenance of the OHS management system documentation
- Oversee the coordination and compilation of key statistical metrics and the chargeback system on a period and quarterly basis
- Engage with commercial programs and procurement to review new equipment and processes to ensure safety compliance for items being considered within the business
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may impact our policies or programs; provide recommendations
- Manage office OHS nationally – emergency response/JHSC, etc
- Support franchise service model
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement related to prevention programming where OHS colleagues are encouraged to generate ideas focusing on workplace safety
- Degree in related or supporting field
- CHRP or CRSP preferred
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety (OHS) act and associated regulations, auditing protocols
- 8-10 years experience managing health and safety in a unionized environment related to retail and/or logistics preferred; experience in a large organization with multiple operations.
- Travel 10-25%