Laser Safety Officer – Environmental Health & Safety – New York
Job Posting Number: 23770
Location: New York,NY
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time.
As one of the world’s premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for enterprise-wide environmental health and safety services, including Fire and Life Safety, Laser Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
As a Laser Safety Officer (LSO), you will:
- Work with departments enterprise-wide, ensuring all activities related to the use of laser generating equipment are conducted in a safe manner and in compliance with internal MSK and external regulatory requirements.
- Work with clinical, hospital and laboratory leadership and staff to develop, review, and approve procedures for activities that involve the use of laser equipment.
- Ensure safe handling of laser generating equipment.
- Investigate and examine the workplace for hazards and potential risks associated with laser use; mitigate workplace laser hazards; and perform accident and incident investigations; provide guidance regarding personal protective equipment selection based on assessments.
- Disseminate laser safety information throughout MSK clinical, hospital and research areas via effective communications.
- Facilitate training and implementation of the Laser Safety Manual, Standard Operating Procedures and the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) laser safety program.
- Independently evaluates and implements effective safe work practices in accordance with established departmental standards and advances MSK’s safety culture.
- A Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, environmental science, industrial hygiene, or closely related field plus at least 2-4 years of work experience in a scientific, technical, or healthcare setting; Or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Laser Safety Officer certification strongly preferred.
- The ability to develop and present safety trainings for groups of over 100 faculty, staff, and students.
- A high service orientation with good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to impart health and safety information to workers of differing backgrounds.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal effectively with people in the widest variety of job classifications.
- Excellent organizational skills, capability to work independently and as a team member in a service environment and handle multiple assignments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access.