ISO 14001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS); it provides a framework that an organization can follow.
ISO 14001 helps map out a framework that a company or organization can follow to set up an effective environmental management system. ISO 14001 is not sector specific; it is applicable in all sectors.
Acquiring the certification comes with benefits.
Organizations and companies find that using the standard helps them:
- Meet legal obligations
- Improve resource efficiency
- Reduce waste
- Drive down costs
- Improve overall environmental impact
- Manage environmental obligations with consistency
- Provide assurance that environmental impact is being measured
- Gain competitive advantage in supply chain design
- Increase new business opportunities
- Increase stakeholder and customer trust.
Elements of ISO 14001
For orgainzation to be formally recognized for their environmental management system, the orgainzation must meet the required elements of the ISO 14001. These general requirements includes:
- Development of an environmental policy that reflects an organisation’s commitments.
- The appointment of a person(s) responsible for the EMS’s coordination.
- Identification of how the organisation interacts with the environment.
- Identification of actual and potential environmental impacts.
- Identification of environmental compliance requirements.
- Establishment of environmental objectives, targets and programs
- Monitoring and measurement of the progress to achieve its objectives;.
- Reviewing the system and environmental performance.
- Continuous improvement of the organisation’s environmental performance.
Where i can enroll for ISO 14001 Certification