HSE Officer Job in UK – Knighton Foods LTD (Maternity Cover)
Closing date: April 30 2020 | Temporary | Manufacturing
HSE Officer – Maternity Cover (12 month contract)
To support the HSE Manager in delivering an improved safety performance, and promoting a positive health and safety culture through, implementing, coordinating and maintaining the Health and Safety policies whilst complying with all relevant legislation and Premier Group requirements.
Scope of Job
The main purpose of the role is to assist the HSE Manager in ensuring the site complies with all statutory and company requirements enabling a safe work place, and act as site expert to ensure projects and strategies include full health, safety and environmental considerations. The role holder will further be responsible for promoting team ethics and developing team working through employee training and personal development.
Working within a unionised manufacturing environment where continuous improvement is essential in all areas to support the business needs.
1. Prepare regular reports as required (weekly, monthly, ad hoc etc) on safety performance and departmental KPIs. In collaboration with HSE Manager, monitor performance against target and identify, recommend and help implement action plans as necessary.
2. In collaboration with the Operations Team increase the level of Accident / Near Miss / Hazard reporting and the close out of the associated actions.
3. Provide cross shift team support as necessary to help ensure safety culture improvement, operator safety engagement, are consistent across all shifts.
4. In collaboration with the HSE Manager / Operations Team ensure the close out of any associated actions from external audits ( Enforcing Authorities, Insurance, Customer etc )
5. To assist in the writing of Safety & Environment Procedures in accordance with legislation, group advice, and using role specific knowledge and experience.
6. Working with the HSE Manager to ensure the delivery of the Internal Audit process and the completion of any identified gaps in procedures
7. Working with the Training Officer, ensuring that employee safety training records are accurately maintained and all statutory and refresher training is delivered and recorded within relevant timescales via maintenance of training matrices. Ensure that all records and relevant documentation demonstrate compliance and are accessible to key stakeholders (employees, managers, auditors etc).
8. Be flexible in the approach to work, undertaking any other duties as required by the needs of the business and commensurate with knowledge, skills, experience and role level.
Education / Training / Knowledge
• Working knowledge and awareness of Health & Safety Legislation
• NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety ( or working towards )
• Environmental Awareness qualification IEMA / NEBOSH
Experience / Skills / Competencies
• Equivalent of 2 years’ experience in safety role within a food/manufacturing/FMCG environment
• Able to act as an effective role model, championing required values and behaviours to others
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent IT skills, proficient in Microsoft Office
Knighton Foods Core Behaviours
- Customer Focused
- Continuous Improvement