HSE Manager Elanco United States
The Manager of Health & Safety/Environmental/Security is responsible for managing the work activities of exempt and non-exempt staff whose focus and responsibilities include assuring that Clinton Laboratories operates all of its activities in a manner that meets all state, federal and company HSE and security standards. This individual works closely with the other management leaders of the site as well as the corporate groups such as Global HSE, Environmental Affairs and Environmental Legal. The high complexity of OSHA, Environmental and Department of Homeland Security regulations require this Manager to be knowledgeable in most of the regulated operations at Clinton Labs. The role serves as a focal point for inspection and agency interactions. Individuals will usually require 3-4 years in the role to develop full proficiency.
- Manages activities of exempt and non-exempt staff which includes establishing priorities and coordination of activities.
- Provides technical support and oversight to staff and site regarding HSE/Security regulations and corporate expectations.
- Provides direction to business units regarding current and future environmental requirements.
- Assures that all regulatory documentation, records and permits are maintained, submitted and filed in accordance with legal and corporate requirements.
- Develops and maintains department annual expense and capital plan.
- Maintains Site HSE Roadmap.
- Maintains the site governance structure of metrics, management overviews, and internal reviews on compliance issues.
- Coaches and develops both exempt and non-exempt staff including development and implementation of individual development plans.
- Manages and maintains team oriented work environment.
- Assures that performance management plans are developed and followed for every individual in department.
- Assures that each staff member stays current with regulations and credentials.
- Assures that entire organization operates in a safe manner consistent with site and corporate performance expectations.
- Works closely with internal customers to establish and clarify expectations and needs.
- Develops valid requirements with internal customers and conducts routine follow-up on these requirements.
- Assures that all agency (OSHA/IOSHA/IDEM/EPA/DHS) expectations are addressed and met in a timely manner.
- Assures that all agency inspections are managed in a professional manner. Communicates with site on status of inspections and actions.
- Acts as management representative of company with external agencies.
- Assures that staff is communicating and acting in a coordinated manner with regional and corporate support teams.
- Works closely with site management to establish strategies for meeting future HSE and security requirements.
- Works closely with regional and corporate support teams to develop strategies for addressing pending environmental and security regulations.
- Optimize the effectiveness of the Management Support Team to mitigate the impact of site emergencies.
- Assures that staff maintains project plans and timelines.
Regulatory Specific Requirements
- Provide oversight of all regulatory requirements being properly executed on the plant site.
- Ensure site policies and practices satisfy the requirements of all applicable regulatory standards, including the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
- Verify that the appropriate training curricula are assigned to personnel having regulatory responsibilities, including RCRA.
- Ensure all associated training identified in the learning plan must be completed by the due date.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, science or closely related technical field.
- 10 years of experience with HSE regulatory requirements.
- Pass security check requirements of the Department of Homeland Security.
- 10 years experience representing company interests with outside regulatory agencies
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- High emphasis on Environmental Background
- Demonstrated capabilities as a mentor/coach/supervisor of Lilly associates.
- Experience in working with bulk manufacturing operations is a strong benefit.
- Knowledge of all categories of manufacturing compliance management systems- quality, safety, environmental.
- Experience in training and developing personnel.
- Experience as an auditor.