Provision of Safety and Environmental expertise to the Cork site. Ensure compliance with statutory and divisional requirements for Health, Safety & Environmental.
Oversight of the ISO 14001 Environment Management System on site.
Responsible for the Novartis Emergency Management (NEM) and Business Continuity Management (BCM) processes in Cork and for lead the assessment of site risks. Provides technical expertise and influences site management on HSE and/or Business Continuity matters and oversees HSE and/or Business Continuity services, programs, and/or program elements. Supervise HSE team on -site.
1. Leadership & Stewardship – Review and report to site management new or existing regulatory requirements and corporate policies/programs and associated impacts. Review and develop HSE policies in line with legislation.
2. Develops systems and tools for site leaders to use to ensure compliance with all pertinent HSE regulations, permits, statutes, local ordinances and/or other externally driven requirements.
3. Develops systems and tools for site leaders to use to ensure conformance with all pertinent Novartis HSE Guidelines, and associated Guidance Notes.Serve as the primary point of contact on HSE issues at the site for regulatory authorities/ corporate audits and co-ordinates the response to regulatory/audit inspections.Develops effective and efficient HSE Management System and provides direction for the majority of the supporting programs and acts as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for at least three of the programs (e.g., Chemical Safety, Biosafety, Radiation Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Compliance, Occupational Health, Novartis Emergency Management (NEM)) that are appropriate in consideration of the site’s complexity, population, regulatory burden/environment, criticality and location.
4. Develops and drives incident response procedures, and guides leaders in effective implementation of the procedures.
5. Develops and drives the risk management program for the site, Business Continuity (if applicable))
6. Acts as Health, Safety & Environmental Officer (HSEO) for the site, as described in Novartis Guidelines.
7. Manage the HSE team on site.
Specific Position knowledge/skills/abilities:
• Thorough understanding and application of safety and environmental principles, concepts, practices and standards.
• Detailed knowledge of Irish Safety, Health& Welfare legislatioon and an ability to translate into clear direction for site applications.
Knowledge of ISO 14001
• Good working knowledge of regulations and ability to translate into clear direction for site applications.
• The site meets all externally-driven compliance requirements, as assessed by the appropriate external agencies during inspection, report reviews, analytical data reviews, or as assessed by 3rd party or internal compliance audits.
• All Novartis HSE/BC Guidelines are fully implemented at the site, as assessed by internal audit.
• All numeric or programmatic goals/targets are achieved within agreed-upon timelines.
• Site customers, Site Leaders and Division HSE Management report satisfaction with HSE/BC program and service effectiveness and timeliness.
• All audit-generated action items or agency-generated findings at the site are closed within the agreed-upon timelines and in a manner which prevents recurrence.
• The site prepares and submits all reports, as required by external agencies and by Novartis internal data collection processes, in a complete and accurate manner within agreed upon timelines.
• Manage department budget.
• May oversee HSE/BC service providers and contractors at site.
Knowledge of HSE Regulations/Guide-lines
Able to identify regulatory ambiguity, evaluate recommendations, and implement a course of action after careful consideration of all factors.
Able to effectively host an inspection by a regulatory agency and represent ALCON in a professional manner to secure the most positive outcome possible.
Risk Management Possesses expert knowledge in at least one discipline, with advanced knowledge in other disciplines within HSE and/or BC.
Able to effectively evaluate multiple techniques and methods to avoid or reduce risk, and able to select the most appropriate based on factors such as cost/benefit, regulatory framework, and local operating environment.
Compliance Assessment & Auditing Able to effectively determine underlying management system deficiencies through interviews, direct observation, and/or recordkeeping reviews.
Able to effectively respond to audit reports by developing, implementing, and documenting action plans which result in sustainable process and system improvements.
Able to facilitate regulatory inspection
Incident Management Able to effectively manage the site’s incident response program in compliance with Novartis HSE Guideline 9 at a medium- to large-sized site.
Able to perform as a subject matter expert during an incident. Able to effectively perform response critiques and root cause analyses to continuously improve programs and reduce risk.
Able to effectively allocate resources and clearly define roles and responsibilities for subordinate associates in relation to their participation in the program.
Crisis Management Able to effectively serve as a NEM team member and/or manage the site’s NEM program in compliance with Novartis HSE Guideline 2 at medium- to large-sized site.
Able to effectively serve as NEM team member at a medium- to large-sized site.
Able to perform as a subject matter expert during an incident or crisis.
Able to effectively perform response critiques and root cause analyses to continuously improve programs and reduce risk.
Able to effectively allocate resources and clearly define roles and responsibilities for subordinate associates in relation to their participation in the NEM program.