In this article, we will be looking into “How to use a fire hose reel”
We know that fire hose reels are among the fire fighting equipment located at strategic places in buildings to provide a reasonably accessible and controlled supply of water for fire extinguishing.
Fire hose reels come in standard lengths of 30 metres, and a diameter of 19mm. They deliver at least a third of a litre of water a second. It comes in two forms – manually operated and automatically operated; Manually operated when activated by opening a valve to enable the water to flow into the hose; automatically operated when pulling the hose off the reel, usually for less than two full turns, will turn the water on.
The aim of every installed fire hose is to assist in extinguishing fire, but this cannot be achieved if the equipment is used wrongly.
This is why this topic for discussion “How to use a fire hose reel” is very important.
Before we gets to how to use the fire hose reel, lets consider the importance of the fire hose reel.
Importance of fire hose reel
- They are used as a first attack appliance at the early stages of a fire.
- It can be used by one man.
- Cause minimal back pressure because of its length.
- Since it is easy to use; it can be used by building owners, occupants, tenants and the fire brigade with proper training.
- They provide a reasonable access and controlled supply of water to combat a potential fire risk.
Exceptions on the use of a fire hose reel
Remember that the fire hose reels makes use of water as its extinguishing agent. This makes it majorly relevant for class A fires – Fires involving combustible solids.
Hence, it is not suitable in electrical fire or fire caused by burning liquid, etc.
NOTE: Fire hose reels must not be installed in areas where there could be fire caused by electricity or combustible liquid as it will not serve any purpose.
Read Also: LEARN HOW TO OPERATE YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
How to use a fire hose reel
This requires three (3) things after you are sure of a safe location and alternative exit for yourself, in case you need to exit the building.
Here are the things to do:
- Turn on the stop valve by the wall where the fire hose reel is fixed to.
- Run out the length of hose as required.
- Turn on the water at the nozzle and direct the stream at the base of the fire.
Watch a practical video on how to use a fire hose reel here
You may also be interested in