House fire is a tragic event that I will not even wish my enemy. Believe me, you wouldn’t what to experience it then tell the story later.
Did you know there are about 360,000 house fires every year leading to roughly 2,200 deaths? In addition, nearly 11,500 treated fire injuries (2012-2014_Residential_Fire_Loss_Estimates-Final_with_stamp (PDF) are reported each year.
Did you know that four out of five fire-related deaths among civilians occur in the home?
Do you know what kills most during house fire?
Most fire deaths are not caused by burns, but by smoke inhalation. Often smoke incapacitate so quickly that people are overcome and can’t make it to an otherwise accessible exit. The synthetic materials commonly place in today’s homes produce dangerous substances. As a fire grows inside a building, it will often consume most of the available oxygen, slowing the burning process. This “incomplete combustion” results in toxic gases.
Some toxic gases that kills during house fire are: Carbon monoxide from the smoke, Hydrogen cyanide which results from the burning of plastics – such as PVC pipe, and interferes with cellular respiration. Phosgene is formed when household products, such as vinyl materials, are burned. At low levels, phosgene can cause itchy eyes and a sore throat; at higher levels it can cause pulmonary edema and death.
House fire will leave you devastated and dejected. It sweeps you off your foot, not giving you what to hold on to. It may deny you of your home, belongings, your loved ones, and your means of livelihood.
It is a worst experience ever.
Your only option on house fire is to prevent it from happening as much as possible.
At this point, I will enumerate things you can do to prevent house fire.
Just take a sit with a cup of coffee, then follow me through the list.
See 30 Things You Can Do To Prevent House Fire
- Check the electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying, and replace all frayed wires.
- Do not carry out unsafe repairs on your electrical cord. Do not use water proof, masking tape on it; call an electrician.
- Keep gasoline, paint thinners, and other highly flammable liquids or materials in safe containers and out of the house.
- Do not store any flammable liquid in a garage or utility room, keep these items outdoors, or in a separate outbuilding.
- Do not overload your circuits.
- Make sure you off your generator before refueling it
- Note breakers which trip, or fuses that blow frequently and get them fix or replace.
- Never leave your pots or pans unattended on your stove or Gas cooker.
- Don’t cook when drinking alcohol, using drugs, or very tired.
- Keep safe clearance between the gas cylinder and the cooker.
- Have the gas plumbing (pipes), valves, and regulators inspected by a professional any time you smell gas or suspect a leak.
- Install fire extinguisher in your kitchen and other volatile areas, and make sure occupants of the house understands how to use it. Also ensure the fire extinguishers are working well.
- Keep your stove and oven clean. Built up food splatter or grease can later ignite when the stove or oven is turned on for cooking.
- Do not dry cloths on generator exhaust system.
- Keep flammable materials (curtains, the couch) a safe distance (usually 3 feet) from portable heaters.
- Have your chimney inspected annually.
- Listen to your system when it is operating, like your air conditioning system. Listen for squealing sounds, rumbling noises, or banging and tapping sounds may indicate loose parts or bearings which are seizing up.
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood in your chimney.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace, these can all spark chimney fires.
- Check the ground cable. A failure in the building grounding system and bonding can be dangerous in regard to electrical shock, as well as fire.
- Look at the individual breaker connections, especially in outdoor panel boxes, for corrosion, signs of thermal damage (smut or smokey residue near terminals) splices which are poorly taped or wire nutted, or abraded or damaged wire insulation.
- Do not pile up flammable materials inside or around your building.
- Install and Maintain your smoke detector
- Educate your household on the dangers of fire. The do’s and dont’s to prevent fire.
- Be careful when using electric iron, never leave it unattended. Make sure you unplug it and switch off the socket after use.
- Endeavour to switch off your appliances when you want to leave the house.
- Avoid improvise electrical connections.
- Do not drop cigarette butt carelessly in your waste bin.
- Do not leave burning waste unattended. Make sure you wait until it burns completely and clear the area.
- Keep safe distance between burning waste and fuel sources.
Stay safe, and let us prevent house fire as much as possible.