The Health and Safety (H&S) Specialist is responsible for the local implementation and coordination of all H&S programs for the site. To Develop and provide technical and administrative direction on all H&S decisions, which bear critical importance to overall site objectives, operations, and profitability. The mission of the position is to ensure a safe environment for employees, visitors, etc. of the site at all times.
- Drafting and implementation of all statutory H&S systems, policies and procedures, objectives, targets, metrics & KPI’s that focus on the prevention of incidents creating safe working environment for all employees, contractors and visitors of the site at all times. Serve as a coach and facilitator to the team for the assessment and control of H&S aspects.
- To communicate with the regulatory offices (e.g. LA, HSE) as required. Serve as an expert within the field of H&S when called upon to address regulatory agency compliance issues & liability of consultants and subcontractor representatives.
- To ensure that the Company complies with H&S requirements at all times and maintains and/ or receives H&S standards (e.g. LA permit conditions).
- Provide detailed competent advice and timely advice to managers on any H&S issues
- Continually review internal policies and practices to ensure they are up-to-date against the latest regulatory developments, continuously seek out and implement improvement opportunities.
- Arrange hazard and risk assessments/ audits of new or changed plant, chemicals, facilities, equipment, processes, etc. and take the necessary actions based on the results.
- Accompany a project team in investigation of all H&S incidents or accidents (recordable incidents, near miss and first aid) and ensure proper records are completed and submitted. Assist in development and implementation of corrective actions as it relates to the incident and ensure “lessons learned” are communicated and incorporated into the HSE program if necessary.
- To identify any H&S training requirements for employees. Devise, supervise, and coordinate training programs or media which will increase efficiency of safe practices and promote and reinforce HSE culture.
- To implement and participate in the procurement of H&S equipment.
- To establish and chair HSE Committee meetings in line with statutory requirements.
- To ensure that the Company complies with H&S requirements at all times and works towards ISO18001 status. Alongside preparing and delivering internal audit requirements.
- To review and implement any other HSE laws and guidelines imposed by the Government and the European Community Government.
- Collect, validate and analyse data; evaluate implementation and assess results of H&S performance. Report findings to management.
- Support the Environmental Advisor and provide cover as required.
- Interpersonal effectiveness – A team builder with good communication skills and a capacity to engage audiences across all levels.
- Drive for Results – Steadfastly pushed self and others for results. Takes responsibility and accountability
- Business Acumen – knows how the business works
- Perseverance – Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up even in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Building trust – A strong team player exhibiting a proactive approach, contributing to a positive and purposeful team climate, sharing knowledge and supporting the team achievement of targets and goals. Ability to act with discretion and treat confidential information appropriately.
- Judgement – Good observational, analytical and investigative skills
- Empowering others – Is committed to the continuous development of self and others by keeping up to date and sharing knowledge, encouraging new ideas, seeking new opportunities and challenges, open to new ideas and developing new skills.
EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A bachelor’s degree (4 year) or higher in Health and Safety, Engineering, or related technical field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Professional Environmental certification is valued – Member of IOSH, (minimum NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as H&S Advisor in a manufacturing environment.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the UK and EU H&S regulations and policies
- Experience of impact and risk assessments
- Experience in EHS training, program development and auditing.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with Local Authorities, Regulators and Planning departments
- Strong influencer who can effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Organized and Attention to Detail required
- Sense of Urgency with the ability to prioritize and focus to recognize critical path activities and achieve business goals and objectives
- Highly self-motivated with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and multitasking skills
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Exhibit excellent judgment, decision and discretion abilities.
- Must be assertive, highly organized, detail oriented, with ability to manage conflicting priorities.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge of computer systems MS Office, Word and Excel, databases, and programs
- Able to thrive in a high stress/expectation environment.
- Capable of quickly demonstrating influencing skills and abilities.
Please note that depending on the specific position, you may be required to pass additional medical tests, background checks, and/or other requirements. These additional items are required for the company to comply with various laws and regulatory rules.
Apply only for positions for which you are qualified. If your work experience, skills and background are incompatible with the requirements of the job, you will not be considered for it.