Health, Safety, Security & Environmental Coordinator United States
Requisition ID: 2018-26895
Department / Discipline: HSSE
Position Type: Fixed Term
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently seeking a Health, Safety, Security & Environmental Coordinator. The position will be based from Butte, Montana and will travel to project locations within the region. The position calls for candidates with passion and drive. This is a mid-level role that requires a high level of commitment and dedication to the health and wellbeing of others in our industry. The ideal candidate will have education, training, and/or experience in the fields of occupational safety and health or construction commensurate with the desired position. This includes craft and field experience with one or more disciplines.
*Wood will not sponsor an employment Visa to fill this position.
Key Aims & Objectives
Positively influence the Project by action, belief and conviction in the human system of safety management. Improve performance by setting an example of no compromise safety excellence.
Prime Responsibilities & Duties
- Support the Project’s HSSE initiatives and programs
- Review existing policies and procedures, making recommendations for improvement
- Assist in the development of new HSSE policies and procedures to meet Project and overall Wood needs
- Utilize Wood audit protocols for all Process & Energy locations
- Participate in incident investigation and root cause analysis processes, and prepare required report(s)
- Assist employees and crews in the planning, recognition, evaluation, and mediation of risk for the Project
- Gain knowledge and understanding of applicable legislative, client, and Wood requirements for the Project
- Engage in the HSSE Training process for the Project
- Communicate effectively and regularly with Wood employees and supervision
- Provide injury care for employees
- Assist with implementation of the Wood Drug & Alcohol Program
- Support the needs of the Project HSSE Department
Skills / Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- 3-5 years of HSSE experience
- Understanding of basic construction work practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication; includes use of proper grammar, spelling, etc.
- Ability to interact with both craft and supervisory employees
- High level of integrity for reporting as well as upholding company policy, personal activities, etc.
- Ability to complete basic HSSE related tasks with little direction after initial assignment
- Ability to objectively audit compliance in the workplace
- Occasional travel may be required
- Nationally recognized certifications (CSP, ASP. CHST, or OHST) and/or Degree in Occupational Safety & Health or related field
- Bilingual a plus (English and Spanish)
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing no more than 50 pounds
- Must possess enough strength and stamina to perform the responsibilities and duties as identified above
- Must be able to move in and around confined spaces and uneven areas
- Must have full range of motion consistent with age
- May be required consistently to work 12+ hour shifts performing construction based labor in varying temperature extremes and conditions
- May be required, on occasion, to work up to 16 hours in a single shift
- Must be able to climb and maintain balance on stairs, ladders, scaffolds and steel framework
- Must be able to adequately hear and respond to voice commands and alerts from other employees, alarms, and other job related noises
- Visual acuity, depth perception and color discrimination consistent with that required to work at heights and on uneven surfaces
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently inspect the project and may be exposed to ongoing construction and various weather conditions
- The noise level in the work environment may range from moderate to loud.