Health & Safety Manager Job in Portland, USA
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Ref: TEMPL09197
Location: Portland, USA
The Health and Safety Manager reports directly to the V.P. Health and Safety. Incumbent must have pro-active approach in achieving the operational and Health & Safety goals of the company by sharing ideas for process improvements. This position develops consistent and uniform safety practices following safety management system methodology in conjunction with short and long term safety goals of the company. The Health and Safety Manager is responsible for implementing safety programs for all assigned Schnitzer Steel locations and for minimizing company safety liability and risk. Liabilities are reduced by: establishing and enforcing effective safety policies and loss control programs; developing a culture that proactively engages in anticipating and preventing hazardous conditions; implementing compliance training; and engaging management commitment to drive the appropriate behaviors that prevent injuries or illnesses in the work place.
This position operates within somewhat defined parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of health and safety management, while effectively and efficiently decreasing accidents and promoting safe production.
- Health & Safety (H&S)
- Leads and coordinates the overall safety and health management systems at assigned facilities.
- Implements processes and training necessary to meet all legal/governmental requirements.
- Conducts appropriate and required program requirements (e.g. industrial hygiene, safety equipment usage, confined space, ergonomics).
- Uses knowledge, skills, and abilities compulsory for developing training programs to reduce use of outside contractors.
- Assists with coaching all employees on safety related issues.
- Continue to develop training programs to reduce the use of outside contractors.
- Maintain health and safety professional certifications or current training necessary to be abreast of trends, legislation, and best practices.
- Review and approve accident investigation reports.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
- Leads and coordinates safety & health program auditing
- Operational Performance & Best Management Practices
- Assist operations in driving continuous improvements and compliance, making recommendations for improvements and providing risk assessments to managers and leaders of business operations.
- Assist in preparation, distribution and communication of a variety of safety reports, including injury trend analysis.
- Responsible for developing and implementing procedures and behavioral applications that drive incident reduction.
- Performs accident investigation and incident analysis and ensures corrective actions are completed. Hazard recognition skills are required as is auditing knowledge.
- Interprets and stays current on a variety of standards, laws, and regulations relating to the organization with frequent contact with all levels of the organization. Prepares and implements a variety of programs and systems at the corporate and operations level including:
- Achieving accident prevention goals.
- Administering and maintaining SOP(s).
- Working knowledge of: Local/State/Federal requirements; NFPA compliance; DOT compliance; National Electric Code; Workers Compensation implications
- Certifies employees when necessary in CPR, First Aid, specific equipment usage, etc.
- Alignment of activities with corporate goals and objectives.
- Acts as a technical resource responsible for maintaining specific programs such as contractor safety, fall prevention, illness and injury prevention programs, accident investigations, hazard communication, emergency action plan(s) and ergonomics programs.
- Creates and maintain metrics to monitor performance in these areas.
- Maintains Health and Safety and professional certifications or relevant training necessary to be abreast of trends, legislation, and best practices.
- Equipment & Maintenance
- Works closely with operations to understand industry specific equipment and associated health and safety risks.
- Evaluates equipment design, administrative procedures, and training requirements for the location(s) to establish best management practices and safe work practice.
- Inventory & Quality Control
- Produces and maintains company safety compliance calendar with timely submittals of permit applications and fees and regulatory reports and plans (e.g. OSHA logs or equivalent).
- Budgeting & Forecasting
- Manages safety related vendor contracts and budgets (e.g., safety equipment providers, consultants, etc).
- Administrative Management
- Mentors the health and safety professionals
- Provides health and safety coaching/assistance to develop managers and safety teams.
- Administers effective and appropriate safety awareness and incentive programs and fosters the company goal of being the industry leader in injury prevention.
- Interviews prospective management and/or production employees as needed.
- Works with Human Resources personnel to prepare job descriptions.
Internal Control Responsibilities:
Supports the Company’s Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business.
Communicates upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.
Internal contacts are by phone, email, and in person with all levels of personnel throughout the Schnitzer Steel Industries related locations. External contacts are by phone, email, and in person with rehabilitation workers, state and federal OSHA (or equivalent) authorities, etc. The incumbent interfaces with corporate safety, other safety professionals internal and external to company, vendors, and regulatory agencies for technical interpretation. Furthermore, ensuring an open and collaborative communication style and maintaining professional dialogue with key business partners (i.e. Regional Directors, Operation Managers, other H&S Engineers, Environmental Engineers, etc.) throughout the organization is absolutely essential to the incumbent’s success.
Moderate air and car travel will be required. Exposure to physical operations ranging from office environments to metal recycling yards. Pressure is experienced in decision making concerning applications of code requirements versus production requirements. Must be able to adapt to a flexible schedule, potentially working different shifts to support operational needs and to respond to urgent matters.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds frequently and over 50 pounds occasionally; walk or otherwise negotiate around physical barriers as would be found in a manufacturing facility, warehouse or metal recycling scrap yard; sit for up to 6 hours per day; keyboard for 1-3 hours per day; and be mobile for extended periods of time, up to several hours per day. Visual acuity required to perform close detail work to input and retrieve data from a computer; read and interpret figures on reports; conduct physical facilities inspections; and drive. Must be able to scale varying heights as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree or BS in Health and Safety preferred, 8 to 10 plus years of related experience required including Industrial Hygiene experience or any combination of education and experience. Knowledge, skills, and ability to execute local, state, and federal Health and Safety laws and other government compliance regulations. This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an automobile.
Must be able to balance business needs and Health & Safety requirements in a cost-effective manner. Knowledge and experience in collecting, managing, and analyzing various data and trends in Health & Safety behavior and compliance. Must make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, and/or government law. Effective written and oral communication skills within a culturally diverse environment required. Must be personally responsible and accountable for achieving performance goals as well as those of a team and have a proven track record of building credible relationships.
Experience in a manufacturing or industrial environment preferred. Regional travel may be required.