Health Safety & Environment Superintendent VBME (Site) Job in St. John’s, NL, CA
Location: St. John’s, NL, CA
Requisition ID: 27565
Job Category: Construction
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Job title Health, Safety & Environment Superintendent
Start date: February 2020
End date: December 2021
SEM-Hatch is a joint venture between Hatch Ltd. and Sikumiut Environmental Management Ltd. providing engineering, construction and project management services in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador. SEM-Hatch is performing Engineering and Project Management Services for the Voisey’s Bay Mine Expansion project. Our client is now ready to initiate the construction phase of an underground mine. This mine expansion project is expected to produce about 40,000 tonnes of nickel per year and extend the life of the Voisey’s Bay operation until at least 2032. We are interested in receiving resumes for Health, Safety & Environment Superintendent with underground experience.
- Provide advice, strategies and problem solving to project personnel on all health and safety issues to achieve the goal of ‘no harm’ during the project;
- Promote a culture in where health and safety is a value that will never be compromised;
- Together with project and construction management, develop, update and implement the project health and safety policy, safety management plan and standards;
- Ensure the delivery and rollout of Construction Safety Leadership Program (CSLP) on the project;
- Provide assistance in all precontract, tender assessment and contract administration for projects in relation to health and safety requirements and expectations;
- Review and approve contractor’s safety management plans and safe operating procedures before work commences;
- Define local statutory and regulatory requirements and communicate throughout the project;
- Lead and facilitate the project hazard analysis and risk assessment process across all project disciplines;
- Ensure the implementation and support of behavior based health and safety and the Vale safety information management system on the project;
- Develop, implement and coordinate the process of health and safety reporting on the project;
- Develop, implement and coordinate incident reporting, analysis and statistical returns for the project;
- Ensure project health and safety indicators and reviews are planned, implemented and reported;
- Prepare, implement and review project emergency response plans;
- Implement and manage the project audit program for Hatch and all contractors;
- Measure compliance with project rules, safety management plans and health and safety procedures;
- Manage the identification of health and safety training needs for personnel, including project staff and contractors;
- Manage project health and safety staff to achieve project targets;
- Recruit and induct project health and safety staff;
- Provide workers compensation and rehabilitation support, advice and manage the process.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in health and safety, with at least ten years on site experience on major projects;
- Underground mining experience is a benefit;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- A high level of computer skills;
- A high level of organizational skills;
- A passion for continual improvement of project health and safety performance;
- Demonstrated ability to improve contractor safety performance & results;
- Ability to lead and motivate on site project teams in health and safety;
- Member of a recognized health and safety professional organization is an asset.
Aboriginal candidates can also submit their resume by forwarding their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
We thank all applicants, please note that we will contact only those who meet the required qualifications.
All potential employees or Independent Contractors will be screened utilizing the following mechanisms:
- Criminal Records Check
- Pre-employment Medical and Drug Testing
- Reference Check
- Education Verification
SEM-Hatch recognizes the Impact & Benefits Agreements with the Innu Nation & the Nunatsiavut Government in which Innu & Inuit workers have first preference for employment at Voisey’s Bay Site.
SEM Hatch is an equal opportunity employer.
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.