Health, Safety & Environment Advisor Job in Australia
Location: Eastern Creek, NSW, Australia
Applications closing: Thursday, 9 April 2020
Who we are
At TransGrid, our work improves the lives of millions – from lighting up sports fields, schools and homes, to powering the wheels of commerce and everything else in between. Now it’s your turn to make it happen.
TransGrid offer fulfilling careers for driven people who can help ensure that our business and the essential services we provide to consumers, the community and key stakeholders are continually improving. With us you will thrive in a collaborative environment where new ideas and knowledge sharing are encouraged, and where you’ll be supported through opportunities to develop and achieve your full potential.
This is an exciting time in the energy industry with the transition to renewable energy. Recent government policy documents outline plans to facilitate increasing transmission interconnection between states and development of renewable energy zones.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual to to provide specialist and technical advice and coordination services on all project lifecycle matters relating to Health, Safety and Environment. The role effectively communicates HSE strategic links, policies and procedures, reports and manages HSE incidents, and influences others to adopt practices that improve HSE performance and culture in the workplace.
This role aims to provide effective support to the project team for a number of TransGrid construction projects. This includes specialist safety advice and general environmental support both on-site and off-site.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a Health, Safety & Environment Advisor – Major Projects you will:
On-Site presence and activities to ensure successful HSE outcomes for nominated projects:
- Conduct ‘trust but verify’ activities to monitor compliance consistent with the requirements from HSE,
- Provide tactical support to sites to improve the robustness of compliance to permits, licenses and requirements from other government departments / councils that are consistent with the requirements from HSE,
- Lead HSE with the project team as a trusted advisor to the business inspiring confidence and urgency when responding to legislative and industry changes and HSE matters,
- Lead implementation of HSE strategic initiatives and link people with their role,
- Maintain effective partnership with all key stakeholders, and,
- Engage with the public where required and provide proactive guidance to the project team on effective public safety management plans.
Project Team Involvement
Involvement throughout the life of the project from a management / coordination perspective.
- Work closely with a dedicated project team to implement a structured and holistic approach to all HSE aspects of the project,
- Guide and be heavily involved in the process of the key HSE milestones of project development, delivery and closeout. This includes Risk Workshops, SiD, HAZCON, CEMP development, review and approval)
- Develop, implement and maintain HSE management plan/s for nominated projects, and,
- Assist in providing timely and accurate HSE reporting for the nominated projects.
HSE Business as Usual activities
HSE accountabilities regardless of work/project allocation.
- Encourage a culture of hazard and near miss reporting and effective close out,
- Conduct internal incident management including investigations and shared learnings, as well as monitor contractor incident management,
- Work and advise within the bounds of the current accredited TransGrid Safety and Environmental Management Systems,
- Work with the wider HSE Team and undertake activities as required to progress with strategic initiatives, and,
- All work is carried out in compliance with relevant legislation, TransGrid policies and procedures and local HSE and Environmental Plans.
HSE Specialist Advice
- Provide support implementing HSE policies and programs,
- Provide specialist advice and guidance in regards to management and monitoring of contractors,
- Advise employees on relevant HSE related topics,
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of changes on HSE legislative requirements and provide advice accordingly,
- Conduct and provide guidance around risk assessments as required for TransGrid staff, and,
- Actively apply an ‘enabling safety’ approach and identify and recommend opportunities to improve our HSE engagement and growth of our strong HSE culture.
Skills & Experience
What we expect from you:
- Tertiary qualifications at Certificate IV in Occupational Health and Safety
- Demonstrated knowledge of HSE related operational issues associated with Infrastructure construction projects.
- At least 5 years’ experience working on Infrastructure construction projects with a preference for experience working on linear Infrastructure construction projects.
- Investigation Qualification (we use ICAM).
- Excellent oral and written skills, superior communications skills with strong attention to detail and demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas through clear and effective messages.
- Proven experience in implementing and managing effective stakeholder relationships, with demonstrated high level interpersonal skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the requirements of WHS and environmental legislation, relevant Codes of Practice, Australian and international Standards and Guidelines.
- Competent in HSE Management Systems.
- Conceptual and problem solving skills.
- Ability to influence stakeholders.
- Well-developed and demonstrable presentation and report writing skills.
- Excellence in the use of IT systems including Microsoft Office applications and GIS systems.
- Current driver’s licence.
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.