Health and Safety Executive job in U.K
Primary Location(s): Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff
Reference number; 11809
• Using your technical knowledge and practical experience you will work within HSE’s Radiation Team which currently:
• Carry out inspection of work with ionising and non-ionising radiation
• Investigate concerns, over-exposures and incidents reportable under IRR17 and RIDDOR
• Provide support/work as a team with other HSE Regulatory Inspectors
• Identify reasonably practicable control measures and address underlying management failings, using enforcement action where appropriate.
• Provide expert evidence in legal proceedings;
• Carry out assessments for the approval of radiation dosimetry services and the recognition of Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) bodies;
• Liaise with other Government departments, industry, professional bodies etc. to promote good radiation protection practice;
• Provide specialist advice on assessment, management and control of risks arising from occupational exposure to ionising and non-ionising radiation;
• Continue to bring about Health and Safety improvements to national and international standards for radiation protection.
HSE is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive working environment and we particularly welcome Female/BAME/disabled/LGBT+ applicants, as they are currently underrepresented in this discipline within HSE.
• Professional experience in radiation protection
• Experience of providing advice on compliance with the Ionising Radiations Regulations and Radiation (Emergency Preparedness and Public Information) Regulations to a range of duty holders in different sectors, for example by acting as an individual RPA or as part of an RPA body.
We are looking for high calibre specialists who can, under challenge, think strategically, identify underlying core issues, and engage at different levels both with colleagues, site technical staff and at the most senior levels within an organisation. You will be decisive and able to influence those organisations to bring about improvements.
You will have:
• Strong communication skills to influence change at all levels in the organisations we regulate;
• Sound analytical skills to identify underlying gaps and deficiencies related to risk management;
• Initiative and decisiveness, making sound decisions based on available evidence;
• Good organisational and planning skills taking responsibility for delivering expected outcomes on time and to the required standard;
• The ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team, maintaining positive professional working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders;
• The ability to write effective technical reports and present complex technical information in a clear and concise way for a non-technical audience
From day one, you will be supported by your manager and colleagues to understand your role in HSE, in addition to supporting your continuing professional development. For the legal requirements of the role, you will be enrolled on to the Legal Unit of the Specialist Training Programme (STP) and will be required to study for and successfully complete the unit.
Given that HSE regulates sites across the whole of GB you will be expected to spend short periods working away from home which will include overnight stays.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• Access to the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme to which HSE contribute around 27%, far more than in the private sector.
• Family friendly policies and working hours to help balance your home life and career
• Up to 30 days annual holiday, plus bank holidays and Civil Service privilege leave
• Parental leave benefits: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.