Hand hygiene is a simple act of cleaning our hands to prevent the spread of germs. We use our hand for a lot of things, making it to be so exposed to germs. These germs causes a lot of diseases, but can be prevented with just a good hand hygiene procedure.
It simply refers to the act of washing our hands to keep it clean.
World Health Organization Has Expressed These Facts About Hand Hygiene
- Thousands of people die every day around the world from infections acquired while receiving health care.
- Hands are the main pathways of germ transmission during health care.
- Hand hygiene is therefore the most important measure to avoid the transmission of harmful germs and prevent health care-associated infections.
Hand Hygiene 5 Moments +
- When your hand is visibly dirty
- Before, during and after preparing food
- After going to the toilet or changing a nappy
- After you blow your nose, sneeze or cough
- After handling or patting animals
- Before and after taking care of someone who is sick
- After you leave a healthcare facility, etc.
The Correct way to wash your hand (Hand Hygiene Steps)
- Wet your hands and apply the soap or any other washing material.
- Rub the soap all over your hands. Pay attention to the backs of your hands and fingers, fingernails, fingertips, and the webbing between fingers.
- Rinse your hand with running water when available.
- Dry your hand with a hand dryer or a clean and dry towel
- keeping long nails will prevent a good hand hygiene, so ensure that you cut your nails short.
- In the absence of running water, ensure that you wash your hand with a clean water poured inside a clean container.
This understanding will help in prevention of lots of sicknesses.
Embrace hand hygiene today and stay safe.
May also be interested in:
What is COSHH – What is the full meaning of COSHH
Traffic violation – Reasons for violation and some traffic violations