This article will highlight “7 Best First Aid Kits For School And Its Content“. Keep reading
What Is First Aid?
First aid is the skilled treatment that a first aider gives to a sick or injured person to help save their life, prevent their condition from getting worse, and help them recover. Minor cuts, scrapes, and scratches can be cleaned in first aid; taking care of a minor burn; applying dressings and bandages; the use of drugs without a prescription; removing the blisters; removing eye-related debris; massage; and sipping fluids to cool off in the heat.
Limitations of First Aid
Due to the nature of first aid, the majority of people will only have a limited amount of knowledge, and first aiders are advised to FIRST seek professional assistance in emergency situations. Calling an emergency number, which in many places is 9-1-1, or directing an able bystander to do so is how this is accomplished. There isn’t a universal emergency number. The 1-1-2 emergency number is now used by all member states of the European Union.
Since 1-1-2 is designated as an emergency number by the GSM mobile phone standard, it will function on GSM systems to call for assistance even in North America. The numbers 999, 112, and 911 all function simultaneously in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. When something goes wrong in an emergency, it’s critical that the responder get help right away.
If they can’t reach someone by phone, they should get professional help elsewhere. The risks of inadvertently causing additional harm to a victim and/or the responder sustaining injury while providing assistance frequently outweigh the benefits of starting treatment right away.
Should schools have first aid kits?
Yes! Every school is required to provide a suitable room that can be used for dental and medical care when necessary. It is not necessary for your first aid room to be used exclusively for that purpose; however, it must be easily accessible in case of emergency. It should ideally be near a restroom.
Typical examples of what a school first aid room should have are the following:
A first aid cabinet, a foot-operated refuse container lined with yellow disposable clinical waste bags or a container suitable for the safe disposal of clinical waste, an examination/medical couch with waterproof protection and wipe-clean pillows and blankets (a paper couch roll may be used that is changed between patients), a chair, a telephone or other communication equipment, and a record book for recording incidents attended by a first aider or appointed person are all essential.
Benefits of having first aid kits at school
Accidents and some medical conditions can happen quickly or even when you least expect them, which can be unpleasant especially when you have kids at the playground who are more likely to get hurt or have certain medical conditions.
Having a first aid kit at school, can save a life in an emergency. If this is not the case, the situation may get even worse before the victim reaches the hospital. It could save a life to be prepared and have the right supplies in your school’s First Aid Kit.
Your first aid kit should contain supplies for common ailments as well as a variety of items that can assist in treating cuts, scrapes, burns, and other injuries.
Plasters, antiseptic wipes, cotton wool, clean dressings, gloves, bandages, and many other items should be included in your First Aid Kit.
The advantages of having a first aid kit in school are as follows:
- To Provide Necessary Aid before medical assistance arrives. It is essential to be aware that First Aid is not intended to completely cure any injuries, accidents, or medical conditions. Instead, it is to administer basic care to the victim before medical assistance arrives. The first step in being prepared for a medical emergency is having a first aid kit. However, you should check your first aid kit frequently and replace any items that have been used.
Most importantly, make sure nothing is past its expiration date.
- Reduce infections With a First Aid Kit. Treating open wounds and injuries with the necessary First Aid can lessen students’ wound severity. The items in your school’s First Aid Kit could save your life and that of the students and help lessen the severity of an injury as well as the likelihood of infection.
When it matters most, having a well-stocked First Aid Kit can make all the difference.
- The most obvious benefit of a first aid kit is that it has the potential to save lives. You will have the self-assurance and ability to respond immediately to an injury or illness if you keep a first aid kit at the school.
During critical and life-threatening accidents, injuries, or health complications, quick response and assistance have frequently saved many lives.
- It can shorten the victim’s time to recover. Responding quickly to an illness or injury before medical help arrives can not only save lives but also shorten the victim’s time to recover.
- Prevent a serious injury from developing into a long-term issue. A sudden, painful injury can result from a misstep on the stairs or a collision in the hallway. When this occurs, however, it is possible to reduce both the number of injuries and their severity.
- Prevent excessive bleeding. If someone in your school accidentally cuts themselves deeply and is bleeding heavily and you have a First Aid Kit on hand, you can get the medicine you need to stop the bleeding before you can get medical help.
- The first aid kit you keep in your school is another important source of emergency medical supplies.
With the appropriate medical supplies in your First Aid Kit, you will always be able to respond to any kind of medical emergency that may occur at school.
- Enables you to assist in unforeseen circumstances.
Your First Aid Kit becomes more than just another school item in the event that a student consumes harmful substances or experiences health issues. When an emergency occurs before medical assistance arrives, they become an invaluable resource for victims. Accidents can occur at any time in schools. However, if you have a comprehensive First Aid Kit on hand, you can guarantee that any subsequent incidents will be treated appropriately. They should be made easily accessible to everyone, no matter how important they are.
7 Best First Aid Kits For School
- Two Pairs of Sterile Gloves: While treating open wounds, gloves provide a germ-free barrier that protects both the victim and the rescuer. If you or the victim have a latex allergy, use gloves that do not contain latex.
- Sanitizing Agent: A wound can be cleaned and disinfected with the help of antibiotic towelettes or a mild antiseptic like hydrogen peroxide.
- Antibiotic Ointment: After cleaning a cut or scrape, applying an ointment helps prevent infection. Additionally, it may aid in scar reduction and speed up healing.
- Adhesive Bandages: Just as cuts and scrapes come in all sizes, your adhesive bandages should be no exception. These will keep wounds from becoming soiled or irritated.
- Adhesive Tape and Gauze: This pair prevents bleeding by working together. Gently but firmly press a bleeding wound with sterile gauze. You can use the tape to keep the gauze in place after the bleeding stops.
- Triangular Bandages: These larger bandages can also be used to wrap wounds and are especially useful as slings for injured or broken arms and shoulders. Safety pins will make it easier to keep the bandages in place.
- Pain Relievers: Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin can all be used to alleviate minor discomfort. In the event of a heart attack, it is a good idea to have at least two aspirin on hand, with approval from your doctor. Only follow the directions on these medications. Regarding aspirin: Avoid giving to children and using to treat flu symptoms. A staff who is of course older, can be used for in school. Verify every medication’s expiration dates on a regular basis.
Always ensure that the emergency for the school doctor are available to all. Keep your kit up to date, check the expiration dates on the items in your kit and make sure to replace any that are out of date. Keeping a list of the kit’s contents to help identify missing or expired items is one helpful tip.
Lastly, ensure the First Aid Handbook is available to all. If you do not know how to use the other items in the kit, they won’t be much use. Make sure you carefully read the manual so you can be ready for any situation.