Facilities & HSE Manager South Africa – Emerson
Requisition ID: (18007933)
Primary Location: South Africa-Gauteng-Kempton Park
Job Function: Manufacturing & Operations
Emerson helps manufacturers achieve top quartile business performance through the industry’s broadest portfolio of technologies to measure, control, optimize and power their operations – and the experience and expertise to solve their toughest problems. From reliable, easy-to-use and innovative products to responsive, expert services, the path to improved performance starts here.
Based in our Linbro Park campus, we have a new vacancy for an experienced, proactive and knowledgeable individual to play a vital part in coordinating the physical workplace with the needs of both the workers and the organization.
You will play a vital part in strengthening the HSE culture, promoting continuous improvement and right first time ethos. Your role will involve overseeing all facility related issues, including coordination of contractors, custodianship of the building and any critical equipment, preventative maintenance, and the enforcement and maintenance of safety and OSHA standards. You will be accountable for company assets such as building improvements, furniture and equipment and will actively seek cost-effective solutions to facility issues.
This position will be 50% Facilities and 50% HSE so it is critical that you have solid experience and interest in both fields.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing maintenance, improvement and long-term planning development, including major building renovations and rehabilitation projects
- Developing, tracking and executing facility and maintenance expense budgets
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and codes related to facilities including OHSA, ISO and city ordinances
- Maintaining records and vendor documents, such as contracts, service records and warranty information
- Maintaining a high level of knowledge and expertise in all areas of Health, Safety & Environment, in order to provide the South Africa Leadership team, sites and legal entities with appropriate advice and support
- Be responsible for maintaining and facilitating continuous improvement in all aspects of the site’s Health, Safety and Environment management systems and standards, in line with Emerson’s systems and policies
- Proactively engage with Management teams at all levels of the Business to ensure ownership and accountability for HSE improvement and to develop and influence a positive Health & Safety culture within the organization through effective improvement activities
- Ensuring that all accidents and near miss events are promptly and thoroughly investigated, lessons learnt are shared and that accurate reports are completed
- Continually review and update or create (where required) risk registers, policies and procedures to ensure successful control of Health, Safety & Environmental risks
- Provide and advise on appropriate site training, conduct HSE inductions including general HSE training and facilitating HSE Committee meeting
Education and Qualifications
NEBOSH Qualification or equivalent
Internal ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Auditor
Diploma or certificate in Facility Management or 5 or more years of related work and knowledge, required. Must understand and be able to manage HVAC, power systems, IT cabling, basic construction, alarm systems, Maintenance, etc.
- Strong communication and customer service skills required (internal and external).
Flexibility to adapt to changing needs, requirements and priorities.
Ability to manage more than one complex project concurrently.
Must be able to regularly lift and move items that weigh up to 25kg.
Strong organization and time management skills
Experience of proactively engaging with Senior, Contract and Site management to improve HSE.
Significant experience in HSE / Operational roles at a management level, ideally within a large multinational or engineering business.
Experience as a member of a global or regional HSE / Operational leadership team with responsibility for setting and executing HSE strategy.
Candidates must have a proven track record of imbedding H&S Behavioural change in relation to a safety culture.
6 plus years experience in a HSE role working in the Oil & Gas Industry is preferable
Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills with high level of attention to detail.
Seeks to take the lead and find solutions and drive tasks to completion.
Good communication and interpersonal skills