Environmental, Health & Safety Officer Cargill UK
Job Ref: WOL00065
Primary Location: United Kingdom-ENG-Wolverhampton
Job Type: Standard
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Cargill’s European poultry business is a leading supplier of food products to retail, foods service and food manufacturing customers in both European and global markets.
The position holder will advise and lead on all environment, health and safety issues and ensure site compliance including but not limited to: legal and corporate requirements. Developing and implementing policies and procedures to achieve compliance and provide best practice; providing guidance on the education, training and engagement of all employees including site managers in the processes and accountabilities of the full remit of Environmental Health & Safety to ensure that the site achieves compliance and incident-free status.
- Ensure the site is compliant with both legal and corporate requirements on the full remit of Health & Safety by ensuring appropriate policies / systems are developed, implemented and verified with deviations reported to the highest appropriate level.
- The upkeep of UK legislative/ corporate changes and implementation of those changes through change management involving the operational team.
- Lead communications meetings with site management and employees
Full management of any employer liability claims and interface with enforcement authority (HSE) where appropriate.
- Focus on injury / incident prevention activities locally.
- Ensure the site is fully compliant with the Environmental Permit (EPR) and be the Interface with the enforcement authority (EA) as appropriate Co-ordinate with operational teams to ensure we maintain certification of ISO14001.
- Co-ordinate the Occupational Health programs for the site.
- Ensure systems are implemented to prevent illness against known hazards and be proactive in the management of health and well-being of all employees.
- Engage with customers on their requirements of Environmental Health and Safety; share best practice and implementation of actions that adds real value to both, this will include attending and being an active participant in group forums.
- Participate in both the business and Cargill UK Environmental Health and Safety teams to benchmark best practice and implement on-site
- Promote Cargill through involvement in community activities and professional organisations.
- Manage interface with Government organisations.
- Safety Qualification (NEBOSH) general or equivalent – essential
- Experience in a health and safety role that included accountability for achieving compliance against regulated processes – essential
- Experience in a health and safety role within a food manufacturing environment – desirable
- Full understanding of UK Environmental Health & Safety laws and regulations – essential
- Proven experience of influencing people at all levels to achieve set goals – essential
- Strong and effective leadership skills, to ensure the involvement and engagement of teams to achieve Environmental Health & Safety excellence – essential
- Effective communication skills – ability to influence and engage all levels in the organisation – essential
- Tenacity to drive change to achieve the determined goal – essential
- Associate Certificate in Environment Management (IEMA) – desirable
IT literate (experienced in Microsoft office suite) – essential