Environmental Health and Safety Manager USA – Ghirardelli
Location: San Leandro, CA – Corporate HQ
As the Environmental Health and Safety Manager at Ghirardelli, safety of our employees, our customers and the environment is your number one priority. As the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) Manager you will be responsible for enabling employees to inspect and evaluate the environment, equipment and processes in our manufacturing plant, our retail stores and our corporate offices. You will
- Develop the necessary processes, resources, communications and programs to ensure our employees, our customers and the environment are protected;
- Act as a resource and subject matter expert for employees at all levels.
- Investigate accidents, identify their causes and build prevention strategies.
- Proactively identify gaps and propose and develop solutions that ensure our safety and drive compliance with applicable safety regulations as defined by Federal and State regulatory agencies (OSHA/Cal-OSHA).
- Manage contracted resources that provide EH&S support and security for all Ghirardelli locations.
- Work with cross functional partners to define and build business continuity and overall environmental health and safety plans to address key issues like fire evacuation, work accident, earthquake evacuation, active shooter, violence in the workplace, handling transients and/or shoplifters in the store, etc.
- Oversee the Emergency Evacuation Team.
- Work with the Engineering team to budget and implement improvements to our safety and security systems.
- Monitor all areas of possible water contamination. Manage storm water pollution prevention plans to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements including reporting requirements.
- Identify potentially hazardous biological, chemical and radiological materials and manage protection.
- Manage spill containment, notification and remediation procedures in the event of a reportable release.
- Manage Ghirardelli’s relationship with local and State Safety authorities.
- Lead any regulatory visits and inspections (e.g. OSHA/Cal-OSHA.)
- Serve as Point of Contact for HR, plant and store supervisors/management ensuring they have the knowledge, resources and tools to:
- Review Accident Reports submitted and propose corrective actions
- Follow-up to ensure that modifications for injured workers are being properly administered and followed
- Conduct necessary training for new and existing employees
- Handle emergency situations
- Serve as Community Advocate and liaison to relay information/complaints from community i.e., businesses, residents, local officials and coordinate corrective action.
- Serve as leader and manager of all Safety related programs including preventive Safety Programs (e.g. STOP, Unsafe Condition, Near Miss, Incidents, Plant Ergonomic Programs)
- Lead the Safety Pillar as part of Lindt Production Way (Masterplan, Kaizen teams, training, etc.).
- Use strong root-cause analysis to resolve problems and ensure improved safety and security capabilities.
- Plan and manage Safety/Security budget.
- Identify and/or create necessary new hire and refresher training that enables our employees to be safe and healthy in our manufacturing plant, retail stores and company offices.
- Conduct Train-the-Trainer events to enable supervisory staff to effectively train their employees.
- Ensure training attendance is tracked for reporting purposes.
- Ensure Safety Materials (Online and Onsite) are kept up to date.
TRACKING & REPORTING
- Maintain agency and company mandated records and reports including training records, OSHA log, Monthly KPI’s.
- Ensure maintenance of Agency and Company mandated records specific to safety incidents (OSHA log, Modified Duty Spreadsheet, Claim reporting).
- Maintain proper environmental permits and records for compliance with local and state authorities (water, waste, emission, etc.).
- Review all Safety Data Sheets for emission and toxic impacts on the facility and obtain necessary regulatory approvals.
- Provide KPI status updates to corporate (monthly KPIs, major issues, etc.).
- Prepare and submit annual and semi-annual reports.
- Negotiate, hire, train and manage contracted security staff, updating all post orders to ensure that Ghirardelli’s guidelines for facility security and safety are followed.
- Coordinate and manage security personnel needed for special company events (e.g., annual warehouse sale).
- Maintain the Close Circuit cameras/TVs (CCTV) and advise on where they should be installed across all our locations.
- Maintain all access control systems.
- Ensure that the security department policies, procedures and practices are being effectively carried out.
- Maintain, and audit, daily reports of Contract Staff, Contractor Logs, CCTV Reports, Visitor Logs, After Hours Log, and Day Pass Parking Issues.
- Ensure records regarding locker usage, Identification badges, and personnel contact information are maintained.
Position Profile: Attributes for Success
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong problem solving / Root Cause Analysis skills
- Ability to effectively communicate throughout the organization and externally in written and spoken form. Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- A knowledge of state insurance and safety laws and regulations. Ability to comprehend technical material and medical analysis in insurance reports
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Utilizes good judgment in determining the need for legal proceedings
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate training programs at various levels in the organization
- Ability to plan and execute improvements 2-3 years in advance
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Education and Work Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Occupational Health, environmental or industrial safety or related field. Equivalent experience could diminish the degree requirement.
- 8 – 10 years of related experience in specialty field with up to 5 years prior experience in a food manufacturing in a supervisory capacity preferred.
- 3 – 5 years worker compensation, loss time claim experience a plus.
- 3 – 5 years facility security experiences with a minimum of 2 years at a supervisory/management level a plus.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification is a plus or the ability to be CPR/First Aid certified.
- Current CalOSHA training certifications in relevant areas a plus.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Exposure to a variety of work environments, including unionized manufacturing environment, retail stores, warehouse facilities and office environments
- Potential for very warm or very cold working environment
- Regular communication with direct reports and internal and/or external customers
- Occasional travel for meeting/training/site visits.