Environment Health Safety (EHS) Manager Deutsche Windtechnik Inc. United States
Role: EHS Manager
Reports to: Managing Director
Direct reports: Site managers, supervisors, technicians, engineers, and technical specialists (if any)
Deutsche Windetchnik, with its head office in Bremen, Germany, and service centers all over Europe, is a leading service provider in the European wind power sector. As a certified specialist, we offer a broad range of services for the maintenance, servicing, repair, and optimization of wind power plants.
Deutsche Windtechnik is entering the North American market as the largest independent service provider in Germany and across Europe with a first-class reputation. It is our objective to transfer the same level of quality, safety, efficiency, and customer service to the USA. Deutsche Windtechnik aims to become a strong, truly independent service provider with considerable scale in the USA within the next 5 years, and you can play a key role in this success story.
As one of the very first employees, you will be actively involved in all aspects of the establishment of our new subsidiary in the USA. You will be able exert significant influence here and enhance your skill set.
Summary of role
The QHSE Manager will be a key member of the USA organization, ensuring that all projects and processes are in line with statutory obligations. This critical role will standardize and strengthen the company’s quality, environmental, and health & safety approach across the US organization and all project sites in the USA and will contribute to the health & safety culture throughout the Deutsche Windtechnik Group. The QHSE Manager will develop, document, and implement QHSE policies to facilitate continuous improvement and the development of a solid QHSE framework. In addition, the QHSE Manager will develop and prepare all necessary documentation required to perform the activities on site.
- Deutsche Windtechnik Inc. headquarters, located in Houston, Texas
- Regular travel throughout the United States and, from time to time, to Germany
- Maintenance of current business and development of growth opportunities
- Accountability for safety (promptly addressing any identified safety deficits)
- Site assessments and quality checks
- Certification processes
- Knowledge of important wind industry standards such as ISO and GWO
- Management and administration of all subcontractors and partner contractors to ensure success
- Implementation of policies and procedures (HR, Technical, and Health and Safety)
- Ensuring customer service and satisfaction
- Ensuring strict quality processes are implemented
- Development of site-critical EHS documentation, either independently or in a team with the Engineering Department and technicians, in order to perform all works on site, e.g., AWPs, method statements, risk assessments, work procedures, etc.
- Development and implementation of EHS managements systems
- Support of the organization in all EHS matters
- Management and development of the existing QHSE team
- Provision of EHS management and project management training to employees
- Participation in tender and project teams as the EHS expert
- Development and facilitation of EHS project risk assessments
- Coordination and execution of EHS inspections and internal, subcontractor, and third-party audits
- Supervision of the day-to-day running of the EHS department
- Conducting investigations, analysis, and report findings to management on:
- 1. Non-conformity reports and root cause analysis
- 2. Client satisfaction program data
- 3. Incidents, near misses, and damage
- 4. Customer complaints
- 5. Key performance indicators (KPI)
- Development and monitoring of EHS performance, progress, preventive and corrective action plans
Qualifications and education
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as EHS officer in operational project execution and construction site management or in technical services in the US for complex technical projects, preferably in the onshore wind industry
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing a similar organization, preferably with startup experience
- Being bilingual in English and German would be an advantage
- Excellent technical qualifications
- Strong interpersonal, management, and organizational skills
- Good communication skills
- Pro-active attitude
- Basic knowledge and appreciation of the technical, commercial, and political aspects driving the wind industry would be advantageous
- High level of motivation
- Ability to work independently
We offer …
- A varied position in a dynamic company environment with many possibilities for personal and professional development
- Performance-related salary
- Enjoyment at work in an interesting and forward-looking industry
- Incentives, like for example company events
Have we sparked your interest?
If so, we would like to get to know you!
For your application at Deutsche Windtechnik Inc. we provide you with our application platform.
Here you can enter your data and upload your application files quickly and straightforwardly. You reach the online application form by clicking on the button “Apply Now”. For the application process please keep the following documents ready: Motivational letter, CV and further documents.
In case of problems, please use email@example.com.