Environment, Health & Safety Advisor Job in Pennsylvania
Are you looking for an opportunity to the manage the successful deployment of a full range of Environment Health and Safey services across the region and business units in a technically robust way? If so, this is the role for you.
The EHS Advisor will be responsible for establishing, implementing, managing and continuously improving the environment, health and safety programs for the facility. The EHS Advisor will have broad knowledge of EHS compliance programs and EHS specialty areas including Industrial Safety, Occupational Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Safety Engineering, Risk Management. The EHS Advisor will provide guidance in managing budgets to support outside services and operating expenses. The role includes strategic EHS planning as well as a tactical role for site-wide EHS systems, EHS regulations, and best practices.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Advising the site leadership team in processes to improve EHS management and performance in their areas of responsibility.
- Driving continuous improvement in site EHS performance and will serve as a site contact with EHS-related government agencies (e.g., OSHA, EPA, etc.) and with the GSK Central EHS groups.
- Review and track investigations of injuries, illnesses, environmental releases, non-injury accidents and near-misses to ensure that they are effective, and that they identify and resolve root causes. Lead investigations into serious adverse events.
- Carry out regular workplace inspections to monitor compliance with site rules, procedures, etc
- Develop and manage an internal audit programme to assess compliance with legal and company requirements and identify opportunities for improvement
- Coordinate the completion of job safety analyses and risk assessments
- Using occupational safety concepts, principles, and practices to evaluate hazards (e.g. work at heights, confined space, machine safety, lone worker, laboratory safety, hot work), performing complex inspections with limited direction or supervision; utilize and calibrate occupational hygiene measurement equipment; develop training programs on occupational safety issues; providing recommendations to eliminate or reduce hazards within work environments.
- Establish site EHS policies, objectives, key performance indicators and targets that reflect local needs and alignment with GSK’s long term EHS strategy. Maintain local EHS SOPs that effectively describe the site’s EHS management system. Ensure that necessary EHS information is reported to local regulators and to stakeholders within GSK. Design, conduct and oversee EH&S training. Monitor and analyze EHS performance and initiate action to support or correct trends
- Establish programmes to manage the site’s different EHS risks and impacts, coordinated within an overall EHS management system. Review change proposals (including capital projects and new product introductions) to identify potential EHS issues and participate in their resolution
- Work collaboratively with colleagues at other GSK sites in NA and globally to ensure that EHS best practices and lessons from adverse events are shared effectively.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant scientific discipline
- A minimum of 4 year’s experience in EHS program development and implementation, preferably in the pharmaceutical or consumer healthcare industry.
- Ability to support a 24/7 manufacturing site with on-call rotation duties and occasional weekend work.
- Professional ABIH Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), BCSP Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification or Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM).
- Thorough understanding of key regulatory requirements (eg OSHA, NIOSH, ANSI, NFPA, and EPA rules and regulations) and their application to a manufacturing environment, particularly in the following key areas:
- Safety – (e.g. fire, machinery safety, lab safety flammable liquids)
- Industrial hygiene – (e.g. ergonomics, noise, chemical agents)
- Environment – (e.g. waste management, air emissions, energy efficiency)
- EHS management systems (e.g. ISO 45001)
- Duties of the position require considerable walking, climbing (e.g. ladders, platforms), prolonged standing, and crouching, while carrying sampling equipment and measuring devices
- Personal protective equipment including respiratory protection qualifications must be worn occasionally to complete job duties
- Occasional travel is required <5%.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Highly effective written, oral and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands, think strategically and successfully lead multiple simultaneous projects
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- A Master of Science degree in safety engineering, fire protection engineering or industrial hygiene.
Apply to this job