Director, Health & Safety Job in Canada
Job Ref: 11289
Primary Location: Canada
Job: Health, Safety and Sustainability
Organization: Corporate Affairs-HSS-HR
- Define, develop and lead the implementation of the site’s Health and Safety strategic plans and objectives to meet IAMGOLD’s vision, values, policies and framework by ensuring consistency and the synergy of these strategic plans.
- Provide leadership and direction on the development of long-term Health and Safety improvement plans for operations and projects and implementation of annual priorities based upon the plan.
- Develop and maintain a generic Safety and Health Management System (SHMS) for projects based on risk and international best practices (e.g., ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, IFC, TSM, etc.).
- Develop and maintain generic Health and Safety design criteria for projects based upon the Health and Safety commitment of the Company.
- Ensure the implementation and communication to the team of compliance objectives, audit programs and priorities in Health and Safety management.
- Identify appropriate talent and establish functional Health and Safety departments to support project activities that are capable of effectively transitioning into mine operations.
- Provide direction and assistance to projects to ensure Health and Safety risks are understood and appropriately managed.
- Provide direction for obtaining Health and Safety permits required to construct and operate projects working with Project Development, EPCM contractors, consultants and researchers.
- Ensure that effective emergency response equipment and procedures are implemented and maintained.
- Lead development, implementation and continuous improvement of the Health and Safety process for the Company.
- Support the Health and Safety framework utilizing risk assessment and maintain the corporate register for Health and Safety.
- Track and trend KPIs; coordinate with management to proactively address gaps.
- Provide regular and routine reports to senior management on the status of Health and Safety programs and key Health and Safety issues and on impacts of new regulatory activities.
What we look for:
Bachelor’s degree (Chemistry, Biology, Geology, or Environment)
Technical knowledge in applied Health and Safety
A minimum of 10+ years of related experience in health and safety, planning and auditing in developing countries
Knowledge of environmental assessment is an asset
Experience in the mining/natural resource industry is required
Working knowledge of risk recognition, assessment and control techniques
Superior communication and interpersonal skills
Highly developed decision-making and problem solving skills
Strong leadership skills, ability to impact and influence management
Ability to lead and manage multi-disciplinary teams
Proven team player skills with ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships
Bilingual (English/French) is required.
Applies Strategic Thinking & Global Focus: Brings a global mindset and systemic thinking to support the strategic focus and future success of the organization.
Builds Diverse Stakeholder relationships: Proactively develops strong and mutually beneficial relationships with multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrates Personal Leadership: Takes personal ownership for the success of the organization achieved through candor, creative debate active listening, coaching and a commitment to self-improvement.
Develops People, Teams, & Culture: Maximizes the potential of individuals, teams, and culture through a targeted investment in coaching, development, and engagement.
Drives Excellence in Execution: Enables breakthrough results through organizational alignment, courageous action, new thinking, and accountability.