It is quite unfortunate how many times people kill someone or get killed on our roads when the accident was preventable.
All road users need to read this
On 17th of June, 2019, an innocent school child returning from school was knocked down by a careless driver, unfortunately the child died from the impact of the accident.
This accident was 100% preventable, but the driver lacked good safety orientation. How could you run on such a high speed in a school area during school closing hour.
During school closing hour, there are always school pupil walking carelessly, playing and running along the road; this is due to their juvenile tendencies. Hence, road users should always pay attention to this.
Drivers should understand that roads are different depending on the hour of the day.
Road are always very busy and require more caution at three (3) different times –
- Morning hours because of people going to work, children going to school; everyone going to their different endeavours.
- During school closing hours – Student returning from school
- Evening: Everyone returning from their different endeavours.
Aside from these times, events can also affect the traffic state of any area at a particular time; drivers should also pay attention to this.
At this point, i will highlight some Do,s and Don’ts on the road; either as a driver or pedestrian.
AS A DRIVER
- Learn to read road signs, pay attention to the content and obey it accordingly
- Never maintain high speed at junctions, U-turns, make sure you slow down to the safest speed.
- Reduce your speed and pay close attention when driving through school areas, market, event centers, etc.
- Never try overtaking in a sharp bend and corners
- Slow down when negotiating any bend and corners
- If you have poor sight, do not drive at night
- Never enter a major road on reverse
- Strive to understand traffic codes and signs
- Never struggle the road with another road users. Be a defensive driver
- Ensure good vehicle maintenance before use
- Ensure routine checks on your vehicle – Check your oil gauge, trafficator, break light, etc.
- Never drive without your fire extinguisher, jack, wheel spanner, hazard triangle, spare tyre, etc.
- Reduce interaction and distraction of any kind when driving
- If something falls to the floor of the car when driving, never try picking it up when the vehicle is still in motion
- Be very careful n maintain low speed when driving on a wet road and cloudy atmosphere.
AS A PEDESTRIAN
- Pay adequate caution when crossing the road
- Never use earpiece when walking along the road
- Avoid unnecessary jokes on the road
- When going out for early morning jogging, use high reflective vest.
- When moving with a small child on the road, ensure that you hold their hand. Never leave you child to go alone on the road, an elderly guardian should go with them.
- Make sure you watch both sides of the road before crossing the road. Look left, Right and left again before crossing.
Above are some basic safety tips we should observe on the road, either as a driver or pedestrian.
ENSURE YOUR SAFETY AND THAT OF OTHERS ON THE ROAD BY ACTING SAFE