Assistant Safety (HSE) Manager Louis Berger Boston
Tracking Code: 8362-023
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
LBUS is seeking a highly motivated individual with 5+ years of experience to serve as an Assistant Safety Manager on a large, complex, high profile, rail/transit, design/build (DB) project in the Boston MA area – the $1 billion Green Line Extension (GLX). LBUS is a major partner of the Program & Construction Management (PM/CM) team overseeing this project.
A successful candidate will possess strong health, safety and environment (HSE) support services, develop a strong safety and reporting culture, assist in tracking key performance indicators, and ensure regulatory compliance for this high profile construction project. A successful candidate will be expected to help manage HSE programs at multiple construction sites. The Assistant Safety Manager will report to the GLX Program Safety Manager.
The Assistant Safety Manager duties shall include, but are not be limited to the following:
- Research and assist in developing, maintaining, and monitoring safety performance metrics and data-driven processes in line with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA) guidance, new federal and state regulations, and international best practices.
- Review and investigate reports on dangerous working conditions.
Conduct and/or coordinate training programs and develop safety procedures.
Attend regular scheduled meetings both internal and with the DB for updates and program initiatives on workplace safety and environmental issues.
- Verify personal protective equipment (PPE) is available to all GLX PMT employees, and monitor their use of such equipment to ensure proper fit and use.
- Maintain inventory of all PPE including issuance and procurement.
Conduct daily documented inspections of facilities, job sites, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
- Prepare specialized accident/incident reports and corrective action plans as required by the MBTA Safety Plan and in accordance with the State Safety Oversight program as required by regulations, rules, and procedures.
- Review DB Contractor’s construction work plans & Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) for suitability and conformance to project safety expectations.
- Conduct project onboarding training (site orientation) for GLX Program Management Team (PMT) as requested.
- Maintain open lines of communication with GLX Program Safety Manager and the Program Construction Team on project status and prepare reports as necessary.
- Assist as requested with the maintenance of project safety documentation through eBuilder.
- Conduct safety audits of the DB contractor’s Safety Management Plan
Promote health and safety education, awareness, and engagement through scheduled meetings.
- Track leading indicators through to analyze the DB Contractors safety performance. Provide a monthly report identifying all leading indicators.
- Develop Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) as necessary for GLX PMT for site specific work tasks.
- Provide leadership on the project and build working relationships with project staff and each subcontractor safety representative to ensure proper compliance.
- Educate and advise project staff on safety guidelines and policies when appropriate.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned by GLX Program Safety Manager.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or related field required.
Professional safety certification (CIH, CSP, ASP, CHST, STS, or equivalent) required.
- Five (5) years of safety experience or a combination of education and multiple years of experience in building construction required.
- Working knowledge of HSE principles and techniques to include knowledge of OSHA, and other standards on a local, state and federal level required.
- Intermediate to advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required.
- Familiarity with MBTA’s document control software (eBuilder) a plus.
Excellent writing, communication and organization skills a must.
- CPR and First Aid certifications preferred.
- The ability to pass random drug/alcohol screening.
- A valid driver’s license required.