Animal Health Consultant Job
Location: Global-To Be Determined
Job ID: 13-10698
In collaboration with the MTaPS’s GHSA technical leads and in-country technical teams, specific tasks of the Animal Health Consultant may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical support to AMR-related technical working groups (TWGs) and stakeholders to strengthen their governance and functionality
- Help the TWGs and other related stakeholders develop national strategies/plans, tools and job aids to strengthen optimal use of antimicrobials in the animal sector
- Provide assistance in developing/updating specific animal health-related AMR/IPC policies, guidelines, standard operating procedures, tools including job aids, and other relevant materials
- Provide technical assistance / participate in animal health investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection) and assessments of AMS/IPC policies, regulations and implementation activities.
- Provide technical assistance to collect, assemble, and review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in animals (e.g., AMR trends for the zoonotic bacteria/antibiotic combinations in broiler and layer populations)
- Provide technical assistance / participate in mapping/investigating/assessing antibiotic distribution and use in food livestock
- Support Senior Technical Advisors to provide technical assistance to establish and make functional Animal AMR/AMU Technical Working Groups (TWG). Provide support to conduct and participate in Animal AMR/AMU TWG meeting.
- Support the TWGs and other national stakeholders use information from rapid assessments to develop or update AMS strategy/plan, essential medicines lists, and treatment guidelines that promote sound management and prudent use of antimicrobial agents in the animal sector.
- In conjunction with country counterparts, develop/revise training packages and materials for veterinarians, farmers, fishermen and other antimal-sector stakeholders as needed.
- Facilitate animal health-related AMR/IPC/AMS awareness-raising activities, trainings and other capacity building exercises as needed
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements
- Travel to specific countries, as needed, with specific technical tasks and assignments
- Prepare and submit trip and technical reports as needed
Qualifications and Experience
- A recognized degree in veterinary medicine or animal health and production, preferably with a postgraduate qualification appropriate to the position, and at least 10 years’ relevant experience;
- Experience in antimicrobial stewardship and/or IPC work in the animal sector
- Technical consultancy experience through development partners or other organizations will be an asset
- Registered Veterinary Doctor or Technician/Technologist with at least 10 years’ experience working with national and/or international organizations supporting countries develop interventions in the animal resources sector; such as FAO, OIE and the World Bank is preferred. This combination of education and work experience would provide the following relevant specialized knowledge and skills in subject areas associated with animal health:
- In-depth understanding of animal health and production systems and constraints in lower and middle income countries
- Understanding of issues related to animal health and the use of antimicrobials in the animal sector
- Livestock management (e.g., nutrition, care, treatment, and health) Biosafety and biosecurity and how to apply principles
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with livestock producers and animal industry stakeholders
- Knowledge of the interactions and importance of social, economic and physical factors in livestock production;
- Strong knowledge in antimicrobial resistance (AMR), antimicrobial stewardship (AMS), antimicrobial use (AMU), and infection prevention and control in the animal sectorwithin the framework of Global Health Security Agenda, One Health approach, and other relevant health programs
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English and a good working knowledge of French
How to Apply
interested and qualified candidates can apply HERE
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.