Advisor Safety Rio Tinto Canada
Company: Rio Tinto
Location: Labrador City, CA
Job Type: Full Time
Advisor – Safety
- Opportunity to work for global company
- Our culture is inclusive, exciting and performance-driven
- Contribute to the success of Rio Tinto by applying your technical and professional expertise-Labrador City
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth’s mineral resources to maximise value for our shareholders. Everything we do is done with the future firmly in mind, so our employees are rewarded with opportunity, an open and diverse culture and a responsible working environment in which they can go further. We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. Its belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
We are looking for an Advisor Safety to provide support, advice and coaching to the Labrador City operation on the Rio Tinto Safety Standards, Critical Risk Management, and associated legal and other requirements. The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a palletising plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity to drive for continuous improvement of Health and Safety performance by actively promoting safety awareness and safe work practices.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Health & Safety at our Labrador Operations, you will:
- Provide advice and support to operational areas to ensure that operating and maintenance activities undertaken are designed, planned and carried out in accordance with Rio Tinto’s safety systems and comply with Provincial and Federal regulations.
- Assist with safety investigations and coach leaders and advisors on how to prepare reports and recommendations and implement corrective and preventative actions.
- Monitor and report on safety performance indicators to drive change in the workplace
- Understand, promote and adhere to the HSEQ Management System , Rio Tinto HSE performance standards and IOC’s supporting procedures
- Understand and ensure compliance with relevant statutory and legislative provisions and the Rio Tinto Safety Standards
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of the IOC risk assessment process, including hazard identification and implementation of controls
- Assist in the development and update of safety policies, procedures and related documentation
What You Will Need For This RoleTo succeed in this role, you will have
- Technical Diploma in Health & Safety
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar industrial setting, mining, processing, manufacturing or related setting
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite
It will also be beneficial if you have
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Experience with overland conveyor belts and conveyor belt systems
- Training in incident investigation and analysis (e.g., TapRoot, Essential Factors Analysis, etc.)
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.Please note, to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.