Advisor, Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Job in Toronto
Reference Number : 24081_062019
Status : Permanent – Full time
Job Category : Health, Security and Safety
City : TORONTO
Province : Ontario
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate : 68 390$ – 85 488$
Number of positions to be filled : 1
Application Deadline: : 2019-06-03
At VIA Rail, our vision is to provide smarter, inclusive and more sustainable options to move people in a safe, accessible and efficient way, while connecting communities and contributing to the de-carbonization of our transportation systems.
Reporting to the Director, Safety & Sustainability, the Advisor, Health, Safety & Environment will act as a subject matter expert in the field and bring health, safety and environmental (HSE) expertise to VIA Rail. As such, you will be working on specific mandates related to the implementation of HSE programs and action plans, the promotion of HSE awareness, providing support and advice in the reduction and control of hazards and risks and in the reporting and investigations of deviations and incidents as well as the involvement of employees in the continuous improvement of our safety performance. You will be supporting the elaboration and implementation of the Health & Safety and Environmental Management System and measuring compliance and effectiveness through regulatory and process audits.
Based at our Toronto Maintenance Center located in Etobicoke, you will be an essential partner of the Customer Experience (on-train and station services) and Maintenance and Mechanical (train repair) teams regarding all matters related to HSE for Toronto and Western Canada.
In this role, you will:
• Participate in the elaboration and implementation of strategic and operational initiatives to support the Health, Safety and Environmental strategy and plan.
• Provide coaching and direction in the development and implementation of HSE processes and programs to ensure compliance with laws and regulations and continuous improvement.
• Ensure ongoing support as Subject Matter Expert for all matters related to Health, Safety and Environment.
• Identify and evaluate hazards, perform risks analysis and propose plans to eliminate/mitigate the impacts on Health, Safety, Industrial Hygiene and Environmental programs to control the risks in the work place pertaining to electrical safety, equipment safeguarding, air quality, noise, working at heights, lifting operations, confined space work, vehicle and mobile equipment, ergonomics and hazardous materials management.
• Support the Incident Management Process and guide management, Health, Safety and Environment Committees and the unionized workforce in conducting incident/accident investigations.
• Plan, coordinate and conducts safety and environment audits and inspections of the work places and on-the-job observations of the activities and tasks. Evaluates compliance of the facilities and equipment to federal, provincial and municipal regulations.
• Works in collaboration with the Learning and Development subject matter experts and the Communications team to develop safety and environmental technical training material and Communication Plans.
• University degree in a specialized area related to occupational health & safety such as Health, Safety and Environmental engineering, industrial hygiene or equivalent in Human Resources or Industrial relations
• Experience of 7 to 10 years in an environment dealing with unionized workforce
• Strong technical expertise in occupational H&S, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, environmental management, management of hazardous materials, workplace inspection and accident investigation.
• Experience in implementing preventative measures for electrical safety, machine guarding, working from height, confined space work and ergonomics.
• Significant knowledge and understanding of the Canada Labour Code, provincial health and safety regulations, Workers’ Compensation legislation as well as Environmental federal and provincial legislation. Experience in EHS compliance audits and EHS management systems and knowledge of ISO, OHSAS and CSA standards is an asset.
• Availability to travel regularly (our Head Office is in Montreal and we have operational centers across the country)