Cost of accident may sound blurred to some persons who doesn’t really understand what accident is all about aside from the injury or damage they can see.
There is a popular saying which goes thus – “If you think safety is costly, try accident“, this tend to portray that accident is costly.
The cost of all accident are grouped into direct and indirect cost, but within the scope of this article, I will not split them into their respective groups; we will just get to understand the cost/impact of accident.
When you understand the cost of accident, you will then know why you need to prevent accident as much as possible.
Cost of accident
- Suffering: Accident bring suffering to the victim. It bring physical suffering through pain from injury, emotional suffering if a loved one is involved in the accident or when you feel helpless, and psychological suffering.
- Effect on sport and hobbies: It can turn you into a spectator of your favourite sport and hobbies. Consider a football lover who broke his legs on the course of his job, he can only be a spectator and cannot participate.
- Continuing disability: Accident has restricted a lot of persons into different disable state. Some has lost their eyes, hearing ability, hands, legs, etc. At this stage they can no longer participate actively in some activities.
- Loss of earning: Accident can result to the loss of earning power. Consider a roofing carpenter who has lost his right hand through accident. He can no longer practice his trade.
- Extra expenses: Accident leads to un-budgeted expenses through payment of hospital bills, repair of damage equipment, compensation, payment of death right, etc.
- Effect on family: The family feels the impact of the accident in all the areas highlighted here. Emotional, physical and psychological stress; Continuous disability will warrant permanent support to the victim which could be tiresome; family may suffer lack if the accident happen to the bread winner of the family; Money that could be use for feeding and upkeep will be channeled to cushion the effect of the accident; considering all these, the family lost is highest.
Read Also: The fearsome hidden cost of accidents
Now that we have understood the direct cost of accident, you can support me when I say, “Accident must be prevented as much as possible“.