Occupational Health, Safety, and Environment (OHSE) Specialist Job in Mundelein, IL
Job Type: Full time
Location: Mundelein, IL
Job Overview: The Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (OHSE) Specialist, will be responsible for establishing safety initiatives focused on driving safety culture. The OHSE Specialist is also responsible for ensuring practices and policies are compliant with legal and internal safety and enviornmental regulations.The OHSE Specialist will spearhead the safety culture at the plant by pushing through safety projects, developing safety policies and procedures, and ensuring continuous improvement of the site safety programs.
- Responsible for management and administration of site OHSE initiatives
- Part of AF Mundelein Technical Team
- Must have flexibility to support a 24/7 workforce
- Lead, implement, and maintain safety and health processes that proactively target injury/illness/incident prevention.
- Oversee safety team initiatives and encourage employee participation as part of a strong safety culture.
- Ensure compliance to state, local, and federal environment management/compliance requirements.
- Conduct and/or coordinate regular OHSE training for co-workers.
- Coordinate OHSE Management system to meet Amcor HS&E stanards.
- Compile and maintain applicable recordkeeping and issue monthly OHSE reports to corporate.
- Oversee site Emergency Response team and facilitate annual training and certifications.
- Lead internal and external safety/environmental audits
- Ensure proper and timely investigation of all near misses, injuries and other safety-related incidents that have occurred.
- Act as site Safety Champion and implement corporate safety initatives.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement initiatives.
Major challenges & complexities:
- Establishing a leadership presence without having direct reports.
- Driving behavior change through education, communication and motivation.
- Dealing with multiple stakeholders with competing priorities for their time.
- All site co-workers (at various levels of the organization)
- Amcor Corporate safety professionals
- Safety and Environmental agencies and auditors
- Training Vendors
- OHSE vendors and/or consultants
Knowledge & Experience:
- 2+ years of experience in OHSE leadership in a manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s in Engineering or OHSE or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local safety regulations, protocols and/or procedures us required.
- OSHA and/or other regulatory certification(s) are preferred.
- Broad knowledge of all OHSE procedures, principles, and regulations
- Experience with ISO and agency auditing protocols.
- Strong business acumen, with general understanding of manufacturing processes and relationship to the overall business goals and objectives.
- Strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and proven follow-through. Excellent time management abilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, willingness to take on additional responsibility to support the team as necessary.
- Flexibility to prioritize tasks to support the goals and objectives of the plant.